Wednesday, February 8, 2023
Free to visit the museum
On 8 February 1575 the University of Leiden was founded. In honor of its anniversary, Museum De Lakenhal is open for free visits on Wednesday, February 8, 2023, with thanks to the City of Leiden.Book your free ticket
The oldest university in the Netherlands
The University of Leiden is the oldest university of the Netherlands. Discover more on the history of the university in the University Room in the museum or read more in this story.
Keep an eye on the website for the activities and free tickets.
Scientists explain their sources of inspiration
On February 8, 2023, scientists from various disciplines will be at the museum to explain their favorite work of art. For example, which work did astronomer Frans Snik fall for? Or to which work does Dutchman Olga van Marion feel connected? Ask them yourself. This is the program (please note that the lectures will be given in Dutch):
- 10:30 and 11:15: Corrie van Maris (Art History)
- 11:00: Vincent Icke (Theoretical Astronomy)
- 11:30 and 12:15: Frans Snik (Astronomy)
- 12:00 and 13:00: Jaap de Jong (Journalism and New Media)
- 12:30 and 13:30: Olga van Marion (Dutch language and culture)
- 13:15 and 14.00: Carolien Stolte (History)
- 14:30, 15:00 and 15:30: Jos van den Broek (Science Communication)
- 2:30: Jos van den Broek (Science Communication)
- 3:15: Liesbeth van Vliet (health- medical- and neuropsychology)
WORKSHOP: TILE WISDOM
Etching is an ancient intaglio printing technique. During etching, you use a printing plate in which small grooves hold the ink. Normally you etch with metal plate and acid, so that a chemical reaction occurs. We have made it a little easier and safer for you: with the dry-erase technique you will get a long way. Try it yourself!
- For all ages
- Continuous between 1 and 4 p.m.
- Location: Open Atelier
- Price: free with a valid entrance ticket
- Registration: not necessary, just walk in and join us