Lakenhal on the map
21 june 2016
Museum De Lakenhal acquired a 'Large Hagen' city map from 1670. This map chart from Leiden is printed from twelve copperplates by Christiaan Hagen (1633-1695). The plates were already in the collection. Even so, they were among the earliest collection pieces, given their inventory number 2. They were already mentioned in the first catalogue from 1875-76. It's very special that the Leiden plates were never lost, damaged or melted down, like what happened in other cities. The museum did not yet have an original seventeenth century print of the map, which makes this acquisition extra special. The 'Large Hagen' that is now in Museum De Lakenhal had been on display in the local V&D La Place restaurant for years.
Large Hagen copperplates
On the edges of the Large Hagen map are images of the most important buildings in seventeenth-century Leiden, featuring the Lakenhal from 1640, where the museum has been housed since 1874. Also featured are the Hooglandse church, Saint Peter's church, the Mare-church and the University and Hortus. This kind of maps were an important status symbol for a confident city in its heydays.
large and small Hagen
The map the museum acquired is a so-called 'Large Hagen', but small city maps by Hagen are also known. The museum owns these smaller plates and a small print from 1675 as well.
It seems that the city of Leiden once did own a Large Hagen city map. In the museum, the so-called 'Rijnland map' is on display. This map was accepted as a gift from the 'Hoogheemraadschap' of Rijnland in 1882. 9 December 1882's minutes mention a trade.
It sais: "3rd. Card by the Hoogheemraadschap of Rijnland with gold-plated frame, as a reward for the Map of Leiden of 1670, given to the Hoogheemraadschap by the city."
This probably refers to the card from 1670 which is to be found in the Hoogheemraadschap's online archive.take a look at the map
Curator of artistry Prosper de Jong will keep researching the link between the two maps.
It must look fantastic when, after the reopening in 2018, the two maps are on display together.
curator Prosper de Jong